Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Photoshop/digital painting question?

I would like to hear other artists' opinions regarding the use of photos in their pieces, specifically using Photoshop for digital painting. To narrow down the techniques, I'll share 3 common ones: 1) Painting over photos e.g. painting over a face 2) Cutting and pasting photos to produce a new image 3)Sampling part of a photo to make a custom brush/stamp to paint with. In all techniques mentioned above, the photos are either personal ones or royalty free.


Which techniques do you think are ethically acceptable? Do you use any of the aforementioned techniques (and if not, I'd love to hear YOURS.)? If you think it's wrong to use photos in these methods, how is it different from producing a collage the old fashioned way?


Personally, I use a little bit of #2 and use #3 intensively. I also employ texture overlays. I'm looking forward to reading your opinions, and sorry if this was a bit long to read!Photoshop/digital painting question?
Heya...before any manipulations. Adjust your levels first. :) To answer ';what is ethically acceptable?'; is an essay within itself. For painting, I like to use softer brushes with the opacity reduced to about 10-60 percent. This makes for more control and less command + z's. I then tune in the layer that contains the ';brush strokes'; with blending modes and opacity control. Seasoned pros use the pen tool to cut images and then soften the edges with blur effects or simple feathering. Texture overlays are smashing. Most methods are coupled with other methods, of course. ;)





Adjustment Layers and Masks are a Godsend. Fragmented answers, but I hope to start a dialog.





Wear rubbers and adjust your levels.





Truly, SelenePhotoshop/digital painting question?
I'm super beginner when it comes to the how to's of using photos but I love this form of art. I think it's best to use old photos, or your own photos ,not only to avoid copyright issues but to assure originality. And then why not collage WITH your altered photos?! Fun. Selene, I have a trial copy of Corel Essentials 4,,, what do you think of this program?

No comments:

Post a Comment